Marketing & Trading Accounting Manager
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job #: 9669
- Job Type: FA Direct Hire
- Category: Energy Accounting
Responsible for managing the accounting and reporting functions as well as supporting the marketing and risk management functions.
* 30% bonus- pays out 4 times per year
* Very employee oriented company with exceptional comp plans and benefits
* Long term buy-in incentive program - co provides funds that are invested in individual properties - increases over time (want employees to have more power to build personal wealth)
- Coordinate with Marketing, Finance/Treasury and other departments regarding commercial commodity transactions to understand strategies and objectives, monitor volumetric forecasts, and timing performance in order to apply the appropriate accounting treatment to commodity trading activity and related derivative transactions.
- Partner with Regional Team Accounting teams and Finance/Treasury department to incorporate financial derivatives gains and losses into business segment financial results.
- Prepare and update hedge documentation including strategies, objectives, business purpose, and method of implementation, effectiveness tests, and back testing results in order to ensure compliance with accounting rules for derivatives and hedge accounting.
- Maintain tracking logs of transactions according to products, strategies, and other differentiating attributes to determine the proper recognition timing of financial trades.
- Perform volumetric analysis to ensure that forecasts used for hedging purposes are reasonable and probable based on commercial expectations and historical results.
- Prepare/review journal entries to record derivative transactions into the general ledger system and prepare balance sheet reconciliations to ensure the validity of financial positions and operating results.
- Update supporting schedules necessary to complete the monthly close processes and quarterly financial derivatives footnotes, and disclosures.
- Prepare as required daily margin analysis and settlements
- Validate, reconcile, and process payments for exchange and over-the-counter broker fees for all commodity financial trades.
- Maintain transaction data interfaces/uploads, reference data, and other custom configurations for the hedge accounting system.
- Ten years of prior work experience in a risk control, accounting, or contract administration function, preferably in the energy industry.
- Solid accounting fundamentals including journal entries, financial statement analysis, revenue and cost recognition concepts and inventory valuation.
- Knowledge of and experience in the application of hedge accounting rules pursuant to ASC 815 (formerly FAS 133), particularly in a commodity marketing or trading environment is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with specific ability to translate complex operational information into an organized and presentable manner.
- Proficiency in the use and application of the following software:
- Preferred: Working knowledge of SAP.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year university or college with a degree in accounting.
- CPA preferred
Qualified resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
and call Jennifer Drake (713) 255-0751